How to tell the difference between a Howard 200 and a Bullfinch etc

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines How to tell the difference between a Howard 200 and a Bullfinch etc

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi, I have just registered and what a great site. I have gathered a little collection of a Gem a Bantam and I think a 200 or Bullfinch.

So my questions is how do I tell the difference between the 200 and the bullfinch which is which? I cannot find a serial number anywhere on it and it does not have the original engine.

Thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture of your Bantam/200 this would help identify which it is. Note 3072KB file limit for photos etc, you may need to use software such as shrinkpic to reduce file size.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi. Thanks for you reply. I will struggle with the photo ads I stripped it down last night to give it a full going over. Its definitely not a bantam its either a bullfinch or a 200. Any idea where the serial number would be?

Thanks

stuart
    Participant

The “Bullfinch” (very first models were named the “Bulldog”) which was first made in 1954 only ever had 2 blades fitted on each flange.The engine should be a 98cc JAP 2A.The very similar Howard “Demon” had a BSA 120cc engine fitted and had 3 blades on each flange.The original Howard 200 which also had 3 blades on each flange was originally fitted with an underpowered 98cc Villiers MK10/1 so from serial number 18404 it used the 120cc Villiers MK12/1.
    The serial numbers on all the above models are stamped in two places…..on the brass plaque on top of the front shield and between the two clamps on the rear end of the worm housing.That concludes todays history lesson :):):).Hope this helps.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all had the same gearbox and rear end etc,the bulldog was introduced in 1954, then in 1955 the name was changed to bullfinch after legal action from lanz. Both had the jap 2a fitted. In 1957 the demon was added,fitted with a BSA 120 cc engine. In 1961 the 200 was introduced with the villiers mk 10 then very quickly afterwards the mk 12. At some point in production the tyres were changed for a more chunkier type. The final version had the aspera htb 35 and was called the 220. I believe it was made 1972-77. The handles on this one could be offset like the bantam’s.
    If the original engine is missing then stand in the operating position. The bullfinch/ demon etc had the tilt mechanism on the left and the 200/220 had it on the right.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

From left to right in the above photo you’ve got a Bulldog, a Bullfinch,a demon, a 200( later type with chunkier tyres) and a 220.

vhgmcbuddy

Wow thank you all so much for your help. I am now 99% sure that it is a 200.

One other thing, when I ran it the other week the tyres kept saying coming off. They are not in the best of condition anyway. Any idea where I can buy new ones from?

Thanks once again

stuart
    Participant

The solid tyres are obsolete / NLA (no longer available) unless you can find some new old stock ones anywhere.Might be worth contacting Chester Hudson as he has lots of Howard parts.He has a website which I think is tillerparts.com ??

vhgmcbuddy

If it’s the non chunky type tyres then cam belts turned inside out and bonded into place with a good contact adisive make a good alternative, allmost indistinguishable from the original.try your local garage they will probably have loads of removed old ones.

charlie
    Keymaster

s1g, what size, width and tooth profile do the tyres have? We use belts, like a cam belt on machines where I work. When they are replaced they still have good teeth. I could salvage the old ones for anyone to use as tyres.

vhgmcbuddy

I like the cam belt idea. I think I even have an old one in my shed. Charlie i will measure up later and let you know.

Cheers

vhgmcbuddy

When I’m next in my shed ill measure one for you Charlie.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.