A new workshop

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects A new workshop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

After several years of having no room to work in my garage due to my eldest sons various and ongoing Land Rover projects I decided it was time he had his own workshop. This should hopefully let me regain use of the garage!
    A trawl of the internet brought up details of what can be built as an outbuilding without needing planning permission or building regulations approval. Luckily I have room to make the most of these rules and a 6.5m x 4.5m floor area was decided on.
    After marking out the site it was time to get a mini digger in.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Next was shuttering and reinforcing.
    Whilst we had the mini digger on site it was used to dig a hole for the soakaway, you will see how much stone there is our ground once you get down 12″.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Time for the concrete, but how to get approx 8 cubic metres of concrete from front of house to back garden without making dozens of trips with a wheelbarrow and before concrete sets? Luckily a local company will supply a small concrete pump, so that is how we did it. All concrete poured in no time at all, well worth the expense.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

To help protect the timber frame from damp I laid one course of bricks. Work is progressing, rain permitting and we now have framework for one side up.

Attachments:
    dave
    Participant

Its not big enough. I bet that within a year you put a lean-to on
    the side of it. When is the shed warming party?
    Dave.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Steve can bring the booze and the pole dancers!

charlie
    Keymaster

At last the rain has stopped and the sun is out, made good progress today and got the main roof timbers on.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

That looks really good and I’m jealous!

We’ve just been building a timber pergola and it’s been suggested that a pergola is nothing more than roof-less workshop – there’s some truth in that!

roatavator
    Participant

Nice one Charlie!
    And there are lots of benefits:-
    1. You immediately regain the garage.
    2. Its big enough for a small but reasonably stocked bar, discreetly concealed in a corner behind a curtain.
    3. In the event they fly the nest one day, think how much space there is for an expanded horticultural collection.
    4. And if they boomerang there’s space for them to live in and make as much noise as they want without upsetting the parents! (No, Mr Planning Officer, he’s only joking!)

charlie
    Keymaster

Slow progress with framework, all braced now with various diagonals. Cladding for roof and walls ordered. Next major expense will be timber for doors.

charlie
    Keymaster

With the fine weather work has continued, frame is complete and cladding is going on.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Wall cladding complete, roof will be a two man job as panels slide off if not held in place. Still have doors to make, guttering to fix etc. The roof panel in photo is a spare part panel I am using as a practice piece to test fit.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

…..and there was me, thinking you were going to infill the wooden frame with wattle and daub and try to pass it off as Tudor.

“Yes, Mr. Planning Officer, it was there before the house was built!”

Only joking, Charlie, I hope you get it finished before the weather breaks. Not much more to do now to get it weatherproof then you can reclaim your garage.

charlie
    Keymaster

Next major job is getting roof on, this will be a two man job, so will have to wait till the weekend or next week.

charlie
    Keymaster

Roof is on and guttering fitted. Just doors and electrics to do.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.