Lister Model A 1938 and Ord and Maddison Cotton Cake Crusher 1943

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Lister Model A 1938 and Ord and Maddison Cotton Cake Crusher 1943

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

just checked the spec sheet for engine. 176 kgs a lot less than I originally quoted so we could be a lot safer than I thought. thanks angus for your concerns. I can say this that if I jump on the rear of the trailer I can make the jockey wheel come off the ground so its not far from being balanced. I weigh 84.8 kgs and that’s fully clothed. and without my wallet !

charlie
    Keymaster

You don’t want the trailer balanced, you will need to have a certain nose weight, this should be as recommend for vehicle towing the trailer.

wristpin
    Participant

You don’t want the trailer balanced, you will need to have a certain nose weight, this should be as recommend for vehicle towing the trailer.

If it’s homologated tow hitch it should have a plate giving the capacities etc. the nose weight of the trailer is shown as the “S” weight. As Charlie says, the trailer should not be in balance – that induces snaking.

vhgmcbuddy

Right so how do I know what weight is on the ball hitch ? I could move the crusher forward or backwards to give me the correct figure when I know how to calculate it. HELP NEEDED ON THIS SUBJECT the recommended hitch weight when connected to my car is 60 kgs, so maybe its possible to use household weighing scales to weigh the loaded trailer on the hitch .

will-haggle
    Participant

Most car instruction books will tell you their preferred noseweight, I think the Ford Focus has about 110lb as their spec. easy way to measure it is get a bit of wood and a bathroom scale, put one end of the wood in the trailer ball socket and the other on the scale. Move things around on the trailer till the weight comes right!

charlie
    Keymaster

It might be a good idea to place a bit of plywood or similar on the scales to spread the load from the piece of timber in the ball hitch.

vhgmcbuddy

Well said Charlie ,house scales are not a cheap item if you get a good make,so thanks for this as I don’t think I am ready to leave this earth yet,and if the scales got damaged here so would i.

vhgmcbuddy

Onward and upward is this projects motto,things are taking shape. Grafics have arrived from Titch and the belt has been cut to size and fitted. Just been giving the outfit a test run with substitute cotton cake,and we are up and running. This project has taken some time but when you are in untrained situations the road is long. a few photos as always and thanks to all who have contributed. HAPPY SHOWING IN 2014

Attachments:
    crawler
    Participant

Looking good John, will make a very nice working exhibit, something a bit different from the more usual water pump. Any videos yet of the finished setup in action?
    Regarding your earlier question about suitable belt length, looking at your last photo the belt looks fine, you were always going to be governed by the size of your trailer.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes Rob the belt is like you say,limited to the available length. Now a video is in the pipeline and i would like it to be taken at Newby Hall Nr Ripon. As this year they are organising Tractor Fest and also a gathering of Lister Engines. Hopes are high and interest is global so if a 1000 turn up I want to be one of the many.Not sure whether you have been to this gathering in N.Yorks but its one BIG venue in the grounds of a large estate.

charlie
    Keymaster

A gathering of Lister engines this year will be rather poignant as Lister Petter went into administration last week.

vhgmcbuddy

How awfull a good copany with a lot of history

vhgmcbuddy

heres a video of me demonstating http://youtu.be/tdqlNTvxlfQ should be on yesterdays farming

vhgmcbuddy

Well done John, nice outfit.

charlie
    Keymaster

Good to see it working, what are you using as ‘cake’?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • The topic ‘Lister Model A 1938 and Ord and Maddison Cotton Cake Crusher 1943’ is closed to new replies.