Grease Nipples and connectors

Home Forums General Help and information Grease Nipples and connectors

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ssorthiek
    Participant

After many many years of not needing a grease gun I finally decided I needed one to restore my Coleby and maintain my new (to me) lathe. It also seemed a useful thing to have around. Newly assembled I thought I would give it a try and low and behold the grease nipples are too small for the connector.

This hasn’t come as much of a surprise but now I’m wondering how grease nipples are specified and what I type of connect will fit the nipples I have. I have found reference to HC1, HC5 and I would hazard a guess there will be many more out there.

Any help or pointers to identify what I actually need would be much appreciated.

Keith

ransomes256
    Participant

Keith,
    I have only ever found 3 versions of a grease nipple apart from the thread or pressed in fixing.
    The 3 being a standard ball shape where the grease gun connector locks on and need pulling to one side to release it. The second is a plain end with a slight taper where the gun needs to be pressed on and normally needs a push action pump rather than a lever type. The final version is a high pressure connector where the gun has a slide on connector to prevent it being pushed off.
    What does confuse me is you refer to greasing a lathe which is not usual as they normally specify oil lubication and as such use a push action pressure oil gun and may therefore be the plain type of nipple.
    Neil

ssorthiek
    Participant

Neil

This is really good information and very much appreciated. It maybe that what I am trying to grease I should be oiling so this is in itself really good information. I can’t find any information or manuals on the Kerry lathe that I have but that’s a different story.

I assume for all three types of grease nipple you mention, there must be different sizes and therefore different size connectors. Is this assumption correct or am I well off the mark? Also can you or anyone else suggest where I can get a good push action pressure oil gun by any chance? I’m starting to build up my toolset now piece by piece so any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks for the info so far.

Keith

ransomes256
    Participant

Keith,
    The actual gun connectors are the same size regardless of the fixing thread.
    There are many fixings available. 3/16″ up UNF and BSF, 1/8″ up BSP, 6mm up metric, plus push in.
    Oil guns are not cheap. Look up Myford oil gun or Wanner for examples.
    Neil

ssorthiek
    Participant

Again, this helps a lot Neil and very much appreciated. I have found this on a well known Auction Website and it seems to be the sort of thing I am after and not for huge money at this stage.

I think I will get it and see whether it fits the bill.

Keith

Attachments:
    chris
    Participant

There is another type of grease gun end, one with a point on that fits into the hole on the grease nipple, as the whole end is narrower it is very useful on things like universal joints.
    It does need pushing and holding on while pumping.

Not the easiest type to find and they come in either screw onto the grease gun or as a clip on to a normal grease gun end.

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.